Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Update time (2 days late)

OK... let the beatings commence.  I know, I know... I'm a couple of days late with this blog post.  Most of you follow me on Facebook and so you know that I saw my weight-loss doctor on Monday and when I returned home, I posted that my quarterly blood work was great and that I'd blog about it later.  I guess I didn't know that 'later' would mean 2 days later.  Sorry.  Let's just say that "life happens" and life REALLY happened to me yesterday.  I feel really bad even complaining about it because I can name who are going through legitimate health issues, personal struggles, and other things that are a bazzillion times worse than my own issues, so I'm just going to let it go and move on.
(You were expecting Elsa from "Frozen", weren't you?)

So, let's get to the update.  I'm going to "Keep it real" and throw out some numbers that are pretty embarrassing for me to admit but I'm making progress that I'm proud of, so that's what I'm focusing on!  
June 30- weight 292
July 11- (first visit to Dr.)- weight 287.0
     measurements: waist: 44
                            hips:   57
                            chest: 49.5
                            neck: 15.5
July 28 (17 days between Dr. visits)- weight 279.3  That is 7.7 lbs down since the last visit and 12.7 lbs. down since June 30.  Please excuse me for a brief moment of happy dancing!
      
      measurements: waist: 43 1/2 (- 1/2 inch)
                             hips: 55 (- 2 inches)
                             chest: no change
                             neck: 15 (- 1/2 inch)

So, these are the kind of numbers that really, REALLY keep me going. Now, you may also remember that I had quarterly blood work done to check my thyroid levels.  Of course, it was a full blood panel, so there were other things that these numbers would show, so when the doctor came in, there was a bit of nervousness, and then he said these words, "Your numbers look great.  There's really nothing we need to talk about."
Not sure I heard that correctly...

WOW!  I was elated!  After not really focusing so much on what I was eating for almost a year, I have to admit that I was a little worried that my blood sugar numbers would be high or that the markers to indicate the risk for developing diabetes would be high.  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Both numbers were normal, and in fact, the marker to indicate the risk for developing diabetes was on the low side of the "very low risk of developing diabetes."  I cried when I read this when I got home.  See, my sweet Momma always worried over me when she was alive.  She didn't want me to become diabetic.  She saw what it did to her sweet baby brother and my brother and sisters saw what it did to her later in life. (she was type 2)   I wish she were here to see me today, but I know that she must be proud.  I certainly hope she is.  I believe she is.  

And so I want to leave you with this picture.  I bought this necklace at the end of the school year, knowing that at some point I'd be re-starting my journey.  Before you ask, I bought it from Origami Owl.  My friend Shannon Holliman is a consultant and her contact information is www.shannonholliman.OrigamiOwl.com.  So, I chose the word "believe" as a reminder to myself to believe in myself, even when it is hard, even when the scale isn't moving, even when I want to quit.  The pink and black 'jewels' are my 2 favorite colors.  I wear this most days and when I reach up and tug at it, when I see it in the mirror, and finally when I take it off at night, it is that gentle reminder to believe.  And now, it is that reminder that others, including my Momma, believe, too.

~Erin~





1 comment:

  1. Woo-hoo... congrats, Erin! Happy dance, indeed. You are an inspiration... keep up the good work! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete